Tombstone Tuesday ~ Mary Kate Frierson Givens


Mary Kate Frierson was born in Tennessee on November 17, 1828.  I don't know her parent's names, but believe her father may be Charles Frierson.  Mary married Newton Givens on 8/31/1853 in Lafayette County Mississippi.  He was the son of  Samuel & Cynthia Milligan Givens.
Mary and Newton had two children: Edgar and Samuel.   They lived in Lafayette County, Mississippi; Washington County, Arkansas; Ellis County, Texas,  and possibly traveled through or resided for a brief time in what is now Howard County, Arkansas as she was buried in Mineral Springs Cemetery.
Newton married Mattie Halloway in 1877 in Nevada County, and when he passed he was buried in Ellis County Texas.  He was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister.


3 comments:

  1. I like the "Until the Morning Break". I wonder how people select messages to put on stones. Was it a family slogan; something often quoted in their lives? Was it just selected by the stone cutter? I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Wow you have a lot of stuff on here. My people are the Johnsons from Summers, Arkansas. Are you my cousin? Thanks so much for stopping by to say hi this morning. I'm your newest follower, btw.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful headstone with such a lovely quote. Living through the civil war... I can't imagine how difficult those times were. I didn't know a county was named after my maiden name....An 'island' and a county. :) We sure got around! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete