52 Ancestors/52 Weeks #5 ~ Dica Elizabeth Clark


Dica Elizabeth Clark was born on June 9, 1880 in Bethel, Tennessee.  Her parents are speculation to me and are both brick wall mysteries.

Around the mid 1890s Dica met and fell in love with Zion Whitfield Smith, who worked for the railroad.  They were reportedly married on August 2, 1898, but I have yet to find a marriage license or index to prove the exact date and location.

I do know that their first child, Evaline Amanda Smith, was born on December 24, 1900 in Mesquite Texas, and the 1900 census enumerates them in Dallas Texas, living in a tent.   Four years later, Dica gave birth to a son, Walter Eugene, who was born in Bryan, Jackson County Oklahoma.

Dica passed from this life when Walter was just 18 months old, leaving a husband with two small children to raise.  At this time, the family resided in Red Bluff, Little River County Arkansas.   Dica is buried in an unmarked grave, most likely in Blackerby Cemetery.

Dica was my husband's great grandmother.

The 52 Ancestors/52 Weeks challenge is from Amy Johnson Crow.
If you would like to read more about it, please visit her at No Story Too Small

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful blog you have here!

    I know so very little of the people who came before me, that this blog is amazing to me.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete