52 Ancestors/52 Weeks #4 ~ Lela Mandy Barrett




Lela Mandy Barrett was born on November 28, 1909 in Corn Hill Arkansas to Earnest Luther & Harriett Cox Barrett.  She lived her entire life in Arkansas, and to my knowledge never left the state. 
She had the following siblings: Ual Sherad, Mark, Lillie Mae, Nona and Cular.  

On December 11, 1929 she married my grandfather Clarence Sutton.  They were sharecroppers in the early years and later on my grandfather raised cattle and farmed,  The had four children, one of whom only lived eight hours.  

Clarence died in 1978 and Lela passed one day and twenty two years later on May 17, 2000. 
They are both buried in the Ben Lomond Cemetery in Sevier County Arkansas. 

Lela was my paternal grandmother. 



The following is a re-blog of a post from my Coloring Outside the Lines Blog: 


Random Memories of my grandmother~

Every summer... shelling purple hull peas, .ice cold sweet tea, watermelons, wood floors, green linoleum dining table, well water, face powder.

She wore roll- up stockings to just below her knee, and always wore dresses until after my grandpa passed. Then she started wearing pants every now and then.

If a bad storm was coming, she would part the clouds with an ax put in the ground out in the garden to split the clouds and keep her home safe.  (I never actually saw her do this, but was told she did.)  She also had a hidey hole, but I did not like that place due to my deep seated fear of spiders, red wasps and snakes.

She had chickens and hogs and I imagine they did not have names, because they were breakfast, lunch and dinner.  (I swear she is choking a chicken in this picture, but I can't really tell) My grandpa also had cattle.

She made homemade biscuits every day. The flour was kept in a bowl with a towel over it under the cabinet.  She hollowed out  the flour, poured milk into the hole, then rotated her hand around and around until a biscuit was formed.  She then placed the biscuit in an old black pan, and patted it in the middle with the back of her fingers, the poured a bit of melted butter over that.  Grease (lard) was involved, but I don't remember when she put it in)

The 52 Ancestors/52 Weeks challenge is from Amy Johnson Crow.
If you would like to read more about it, please visit her at No Story Too Small