Friday's Random 5 & Tombstone Tuesday ~ William Houston Vance




  1. William Houston Vance, (my 2nd cousin, twice removed) born In Perry County Arkansas,  was the son of Samuel & Sarah Albey Vance.
  2. His sister and only sibling,  Diana Emma Vance, was five years older than he was. He and his sister were left motherless before William was four years old, and his father married twice more- Janey Coker in 1904 and M.C. Ray in 1914, although Samuel is listed as widowed in both the 1910 and 1920 census. 
  3. Diana passed in 1914, after a brief marriage.  As far as I can tell, William was a life long bachelor. 
  4. By 1920, he had served as a soldier in the US Army during WW1 and by 1930 he was residing with his father in the Arkansas State Hospital for Nervous Diseases.  His father passed there two years later. 
  5. I find no trace of William Houston Vance between the 1930 census and his death. He died in a veterans hospital in Fort Meade, South Dakota. He was buried in the National Cemetery at Little Rock.  According to the report of internment, no next of kin attended his funeral. 

4 comments:

  1. a national cemetery...nice! I always love the look of them. So cool that you found him, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing bits of history from WWI. My daddy was in France in The Great War. The National Cemeteries are lovely. Thanks for the visit to my blog and your comments on my No-Tell Motel. I did not sleep well, either, but I did get some sleep on MY bedclothes,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing genealogy is a really interesting hobby. Finding and learning about family helps us understand so much about ourselves and our own story. It's a wonderfully connected feeling.

    Thank you for visiting my blog today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a sad life...but wonderful to find out about your family.

    ReplyDelete